The first 1933 model was square-cornered, and about 1/4" taller than the one manufactured today.
A coil cam spring was used for this model, and the cam was put between brass washers to ensure smooth operation .
The hinge (three barrel hinge) was soldered on the outside and chrome-plated.
The appearance of the first 1933 model was plain.
A new design was added in 1933 or 34 and it had two decorative diagonal line in the corner.
The lighter still had square corners and the hinge on the outside as did the 1933 original models, but it was shortened by 1/4".

Kendall Refining Company ordered 500 engraved lighters for their customers and employees.This opened the door into the specialty advertising business market. Customer trademarks and monogram were designed from small metaliques that were glued to the case and color filled.




In 1936, a four barrel hinge was introduced and it was soon placed inside of the case. At the same time, the design of the insert was also changed and the number of holes of chimney became 14. (one side: 7 holes) .

Late in 1936, "PAT. 2032695" was engraved on the bottom.
The original patent on Zippo lighters #2032695 was issued on March 3, 1936.




As a new press machine was introduced, the Rounded-Corner Models were launched, and the coil spring was changed to a humped cam spring.




In addition to the plate-application method (metallique), machine engraving was introduced.




Because of World War II, Zippo Mfg. Co. was faced with severe material shortages. They, therefore, used steel instead of brass, and applied chrome-plating as finish.

In 1942, black non-glare paint was used to cover the low quality steel surface.
The resulting crack look was referred to as Black Crackle Finish. Lighters manufactured from 1942 have a rounded bottom and the shape of cam became distorted.




From 1943, the four barrel hinge was switched to three barrel hinge, and engraving same as bottom appeared on the insert.
| HOME | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |